Friday, December 30, 2011

Zed's Dead Live Set Review - 11/23 Roseland Theater Portland, OR



Oh Zed’s Dead at the Roseland, what a hectic night you were. I’ve never been happier that I had a paper ticket to a show and if I’d opted for will call, I doubt I would have even gotten in. Portland’s resident EDM promoter, Red Cube, was apparently unaware that the site Wanttickets.com was selling tickets to the show and as a result ended up overselling the venue capacity by over 100 tickets. When I showed up 30 minutes before Zed’s Dead’s set, the door of the venue was in absolute chaos. Only by holding my paper ticket high in the air and pushing through the mob of will call patrons desperately trying to get in was I able to make it into the building.

And boy was I glad I did.



Zed’s dead was given an hour and a half to play and they certainly made the most of it. A single large LCD screen, decent house lighting and two go-go dancers fulfilled the visual eye candy, while DC and Hooks got the packed venue moving with a diverse offering of ear candy. (DC and Hooks are the two members of Zed’s Dead, as opposed to what seemed to be popular belief at the show that they were “Zed” and “Dead”) Not only were they able to play almost all their songs, even some unreleased material, but they also threw in a variety of other tracks with seamless mixing throughout. From Beatport toppers like Netsky’s Remix of Anticipate and Flux Pavilion’s Remix of Midnight Run , to hip hop infused tracks like a remixes of Drake’s I’m on One and JZ and Kayne’s Niggas in Paris , Zed’s Dead showed that they know what gets a dance floor raging and delivered intense energy that never relented. For a production duo that explores so many different genres, I thought their set was extremely well organized. They played their electro house tracks close together and dedicated a whole portion of their set to Drum & Bass to set the mood for Undah Yuh Skirt and Rumble in the Jungle . My favorite part of the set, however, had to be the very end. I knew from the beginning that they would close out with their new Eyes on Fire VIP, but I went absolutely wild – as did the whole venue - when they dropped that into my favorite of their unreleased material, Oh No.

Overall there isn’t a whole lot negative I can say about the set, they jammed in everything anyone could want from them and it would have been very tough to leave disappointed. The only problem with the whole night is when the sound tech had to cut off their encore, the amazing Coffee Break, due to venue time restrictions – but that’s a whole other issue. I’m extremely glad I made the trip out for the show and HIGHLY recommend catching Zed’s Dead wherever you can – you won’t be disappointed. Killa Killa ZEDS DEAD!

I've linked most of their newest songs in this post, but here's a few more Killa tracks and a mix of unreleased material(Some of which is now released) from Zed's Dead.

Zed's Dead - BBC Radio 1 Mini Mix (Unreleased Material Mix)

Mini Mix for BBC Radio 1 by zedsdead

Zed's Dead - 1975

Zeds Dead - 1975 by zedsdead

James Falkner - Only You (Zed's Dead Remix)

Jason Falkner - Only You (Zeds Dead Remix) by zedsdead

No comments:

Post a Comment